Top 5 Reasons You Should Visit Beijing in the Fall
Students of Tsinghua, Peking, BLCU alike... though you may be hitting the books and brushing up on your 中文, don't forget to step outside and enjoy the beautiful autumn season Beijing is having! What makes everyone so excited for fall in the capital?...Students of Tsinghua, Peking, BLCU alike... though you may be hitting the books and brushing up on your 中文, don't forget to step outside and enjoy the beautiful autumn season Beijing is having! What makes everyone so excited for fall in the capital?
1. The weather. Avoid the harsh northern China winter, the Gobi Desert spring sand storms, and the sweltering summer heat and instead enjoy Beijing's crisp autumn air, blue skies and sunshine (with the occasional smoggy day - its China, it happens). Subsequently, all of the following activities are made much more enjoyable due to the pleasant 75 degree weather.
2. The foliage. Since autumn is not a big tourist season in Beijing, you'll be sure to capture a photograph of this massive landmark without a bunch of strangers in the distance. The multi-colored autumn leaves add an extra "oomph" of vibrance to an already outstanding landscape. Additionally, local park "Fragrant Hill" has rolling hills of firey red leaves, in addition to many scenic temples and a small lake.
3. The holidays. Beijing's art district, 798, hosts an amazing Halloween shindig in a 50-year old decommissioned military factory. Dance to world renowned DJs with other costumed - always interesting to see how creative expats get when there aren't many costume shops available. If you're interested in a more local holiday fling, check out China's Mid-Autumn Festival. Snack on moon cakes and release candle lit floating lanterns into the night sky.
4. The snacks. Candied apple kabobs, freshly roasted chestnuts, and steamed sweet potatoes make any walk around the city a more delightful one. Boiling hot green tea can more cheerfully be welcomed now (as it doesn't quite do the trick when you're sweating bullets on a hot day!)
5. The shopping. Stock up on cold-weather essentials for "you've-gotta-be-kidding-me" prices - All your favorite name brands, including UGG Boots, Northface Jackets, Columbia winter gear - Beijing's got it. Are they real? Are they fake? You can decide as you haggle over prices at Beijing's silk market. No matter where you decide to study abroad in China, you'll be sure to find a special season that makes the city come alive!